Pharmacogenetic testing includes the knowledge of patient drug metabolism and gives an alternative to the “one size fits all” prescribing. Through pharmacogenetic testing, we can help determine the appropriate dosage of commonly prescribed drugs like SSRI and TCA antidepressants, pain medicaitions, beta blockers, and warfarin.
A serious adverse drug reaction (ADR) is a common problem with many medications. In 2000, Genelex began offering physicians an alternative to the “one size fits all” and “trial and error” prescribing of drugs. ADRs are not medical errors, but events that occur in spite of compliance with dosage recommendations. A 1998 meta-analysis of 39 prospective studies in US hospitals estimated that 106,000 Americans die annually from ADRs. The 38% of events classified as serious are also the most preventable.
There is the new Youscript method that provides you with individualized patient reports that are based no patient drug, herbal and diet regimens. Here are some highlights of the benefits for both the prescriber and patient:
- Proactive treatment choices
- Patient’s physician optimize the safety and efficacy of prescription regimens
- It provides clinically relevant drug to drug or drug to gene interaction information
- Maximize treatment success by individualizing them.
- Minimize liability by reducing trial and error prescribing
- Keeps your practice current with latest advances in genetics
Some of the currently available test include:
Have questions about specific lab tests ? Let us know, we will keep you informed.