Your skin is the first line of defense against the harmful components in your environment, such as bacteria and UV light. Thus, it is important to maintain healthy skin in order to have a good quality of life.
Healthy Skin: Tip #1
Protect yourself from the sun. Avoiding excessive sunlight can decrease the amount of age spots, wrinkles, and other aging signs of your skin. This will also lower your risk of skin cancer.
- Be sure to use sunscreen with at least an SPF of 15 and reapply every two hours. If you are sweating a lot or swimming, apply sunscreen more often.
- Avoid the sun especially around noon, when the UV rays are the strongest.
- Wear protective light-colored clothing such as wide-brimmed hats and long skirts or pants.
Healthy Skin: Tip #2
Don’t smoke. Aside from other serious health effects, smoking makes your skin look older and increases the number of wrinkles.
Smoking damages the fibers in your skin that give it strength and elasticity (collagen and elastin) and constricts blood vessels that bring oxygen and nutrients.
Bottom line, don’t smoke if you want healthy skin – if you need help, you can ask your doctor for advice on how to stop.
Healthy Skin: Tip #3
Be nice to your skin. The daily washing and shaving can wear the skin out.
- Don’t take too long in the bath and use warm – not hot – water.
- Steer clear of strong soaps and detergents that remove your skin’s natural oil.
- Apply shaving cream, lotion, or gel before shaving and use a clean, sharp razor. Shave in the direction the hair grows.
- Gently pat yourself dry after showering or bathing rather than rubbing.
- Use moisturizer to give dry skin the extra care it needs.
Healthy Skin: Tip #4
Eat healthy and sleep well. A good diet can cleanse and take care of the body both inside and outside. Make sure to consume enough of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean protein.
Good sleep allows the body to repair damage and maintain health. Thus, get enough sleep to have healthy skin.
Sleep can also reduce stress, which makes your skin more prone to damage and acne. By managing your stress, you will have more energy throughout the day and a more healthy body.